Before the Student Arrives
Office, Badge, Computer Account
Ask Larry to find an office for the student. Try to avoid offices without a window.
Larry will also get an ID badge for the student. Make sure they get a key that works for their office.
Ask Larry to create a basic computer account for the student. He will need a project account to charge it to.
We have several computers the students can use, including butterfly.isi.edu and juve.isi.edu.
The computer should have the latest CentOS, with a recent Condor and the latest Pegasus release.
Install iptables and open port 22, install fail2ban, and disable passwords via ssh.
Make sure the computer is mounting the ISI NFS home directories properly, and configure it to use the ISI NIS and ISI NTP servers.
Give the student sudo privileges on the machine.
Subscribe the student to the group email list, email@example.com. The files are in: /nfs/asd2/pegasus/mailing-lists
After the Student Arrives
NSF has a new requirement that all students (undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral) must have had training in Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) *before* being supported (i.e., paid) by NSF.
Furthermore, an on-line RCR certification system has been set up for this purpose. It is found here:
Please note the following requirements as they apply to all VSoE students:
- all currently NSF-supported students (undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral) *must* complete the on-line course this spring, as per the Provost's memo;
- all new incoming PhD students and postdocs *must* complete the on-line course before being set up on payroll;
- all undergraduates being put on an NSF support *must* complete the on-line course before being set up on payroll;
- PIs who have or hope to have NSF funding are urged to have all their PhD students and postdocs complete the on-line course in any case, to avoid possible future delays in student payroll if students/postdocs are moved from one grant to another.
Papers to Read
List of papers to read:
- "Pegasus: a Framework for Mapping Complex Scientific Workflows onto Distributed Systems" Ewa Deelman, Gurmeet Singh, Mei-Hui Su, James Blythe, Yolanda Gil, Carl Kesselman, Gaurang Mehta, Karan Vahi, G. Bruce Berriman, John Good, Anastasia Laity, Joseph C. Jacob, Daniel S. Katz. Scientific Programming Journal, Vol 13(3), 2005, Pages 219-237
- "Pegasus : Mapping Scientific Workflows onto the Grid" Ewa Deelman, James Blythe, Yolanda Gil, Carl Kesselman, Gaurang Mehta, Sonal Patil, Mei-Hui Su, Karan Vahi, Miron Livny, Across Grids Conference 2004, Nicosia, Cyprus
- "Anatomy of the Grid" Ian Foster, Carl Kesselman, et al
- "Condor: A hunter of idle workstations"
- "Condor-G: A Computation Management Agent for Multi-Institutional Grids" James Frey, Todd Tannenbaum, Ian Foster, Miron Livny, and Steven Tuecke Proceedings of the Tenth IEEE Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC10) San Francisco, California, August 7-9, 2001
- "Scheduling Data-Intensive Workflows onto Storage-Constrained Distributed Resources" Arun Ramakrishnan, Gurmeet Singh, Henan Zhao, Ewa Deelman, Rizos Sakellariou, Karan Vahi, Kent Blackburn , David Meyers and Michael Samidi. Seventh IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid - CCGrid 2007
- "Managing Large-Scale Scientific Workflows in Distributed Environments: Experiences and Challenges" Ewa Deelman, Yolanda Gil. Workflows in e-Science, e-Science 2006, Amsterdam, December 4-6, 2006
Action should have sent an email about the student's account along with a username and temporary password.
Open a terminal for the student and have them telnet to darkstar.isi.edu. It should ask them to change their password on login.
Have the student set up their email client to access their ISI account, or create a .forward file.
Set up SSH Keys
Help the students set up their ssh keys so that they can log on to ISI machines from their laptops / home computers
- log on to your linux box using action provided username and password
- mkdir ~/.ssh
ssh-keygen -t dsa
- Make sure you enter a passphrase
- Now you have a private key/public key pair generated.
- cat id_dsa > authorized_keys